Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Farewell For Now


Today one of my really good friends left for the MTC.  I am so proud of her, and though I know I will miss her, I know that she is doing what the Lord has asked of her.  At the same time, her leaving has left a void in me I did not expect.  Not just because I wont be seeing her for 19 months, but because her leaving makes it all more real to me.  Loira and I submitted our mission papers to church headquarters the same week, received our call the same day and excitedly traded mission calls to share each others news only minutes after opening our calls.  It was an experience that I am grateful to have been able to share with such a good friend.

But she left today, and suddenly it hits me: I leave in 27 days.  I have 27 days to gather everything I will need for 18 months of my life.  I have 27 days to listen to music.  I have 27 days to go to sleep recklessly late.  I have 27 days to hug my parents and let them know that I love them.  27 days to hug my niece and nephews and hope, just hope, that the younger ones will still love me when I get back. 

27 days before I have to say goodbye for 18 months. 

Now I know I signed up for this, I know that I need to go an a mission.  I am beyond excited about it and I thrilled to know how much it is going to change my life.  But this whole experience is bittersweet, because suddenly I don't know if I have what it takes to do it well, to leave everything behind, and clasp onto the Lord in faith.

But I have to.  I must keep trekking forward without looking back.  As hard as it will be, I know without a doubt in my mind,  that I am doing has been asked of me.  And even though it's hard, I am grateful and determined to make my Father in Heaven proud.

But if you can, pray for me.  Pray that I may gather strength, pray that I may get the motivation to study my scriptures, pray that I may visit the temple more often.

Thank you.
Ellie

PS.  The picture shown below is of Hermana (Loira) Losada walking away to the MTC.  It was taken by her family as they dropped her off and I, of course, stole it from FB ;)

1 comment:

  1. I know that it is hard to leave people that you love. I know it is hard to leave the comforts of home, and tears will come, no doubt about it. However, I also know that if you go into this with your heart full of love, for the Savior, of course, but also for your companions, investigators, members, hostile people, people you don't get along with, etc, that when it is all over, you will shed tears again, and say, " I am leaving my comfort zone, I am leaving people I love." You will grow in ways that you could never imagine. Your testimony, knowledge, and love of the Savior will grow in ways that you can get in no other way. Have faith. Doubt nothing the prophets and the Lord have promised you. You can do this thing! SEnding you hugs and love, Tammy

    ReplyDelete