Blog Archive

Monday, April 18, 2016

College Graduation

is totally and completely overrated.

 I loved school.  I loved learning and stretching my brain and questioning things and figuring things out.

Which is basically why graduating is overrated...I'm a nerd!

I liked school.  I liked the routine, I liked my professors and getting tea and a muffin between classes.  I liked having my values challenged and getting different perspectives about life and happiness and culture.

So for me, graduation eliminated all of it!

So I miss it every day.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of things I don't miss.

Like finals.

and writing papers.

and having to defend my beliefs every single day. 

and finding parking.

and pulling all nighters to finish homework.

But I miss the silly things like the smell of old books in the library and sitting under the trees while I work on my papers and even reading books that I would never choose to read on my own, and my professors who were so encouraging and kind to me. They believed in my writing and believed in my ability to produce good ideas.  I miss it.

So if you are still in school and you think you'll be better off after graduation, chances are you will be.  Most of you will be married (or already married) and starting families.  Others will have great jobs and will be paving a career path.  But if you're like me and life is at a weird standstill then school was a dang good distraction.

Now I'm stuck being an adult and do adult things and figure out my adult life.  Now I can't tell people when they ask what I'm doing with my life that I'm "going to school." Now I have to give a real answer like "I'm working at such and such place and hoping to get such and such job in the near future." But I don't have that kind of answer because I don't know what the heck I'm doing!
Anyway, graduating from college was item number 2 on my bucket list (you can read about my bucket list by clicking on the tab above). And while it's been a weird transition into adulthood, man it sure feels good to say "I'm a college grad!" 

Rant over.

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment